Delicious Apple Cacao Tahini Cookies – a great source of magnesium
These cookies have been a work in progress over the past two years. I was first introduced to the idea of a cookie rich in magnesium with the Salted Chocolate Tahini Cookies created by Rachel Molenda.
I was looking at cookies to make at Christmas that had no added sugar and were more nutrient dense. Over time as I played with the original recipe wanted to enhance the taste with the blend of cacao and orange. I am so thankful for my quality control team who continued to critique this cookie as it evolved. I want to express my thanks to Rachel for the inspiration of this cookie rich in magnesium. Some of the biggest differences between the Salted Chocolate Tahini Cookies and the Apple Cacao Tahini Cookies are:
- I replaced the Brown Rice Flour with Gluten Free Flour.
- Added apple and orange.
- To add more omega 3s included ground flax.
- And as it tastes so good added more chocolate chips.
As I have continued on my rehabilitation journey, when I travel to Vancouver, I make these cookies for my Mom as these are one of her favourites. An earlier version of these cookies without the zest of orange is also featured in the ReKnew Countertop Cookbook. I hope you enjoy this version as well.
Recipe created by Sharon K. Summerfield
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup organic gluten free flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 graded apples
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- Juice from 1 orange
- 2 tbsp orange zest (from approximately 1 orange)
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut or coconut flour
- Mix ground flaxseed with 1/4 cup water and let sit for 15 minutes. This is a perfect time to turn on the oven.
- Mix all ingredients together. Try to resist tasting the batter.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and then scoop batter on to the sheet to make small cookies.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 350. Once baked cookies will not look wet and will be a darker brown on the corners.
- Cool on cooling racks.
- Once cooled I freeze in containers.
As many of us our deficient in magnesium these are beautiful cookies to have on hand to enjoy as a snack during a Zoom meeting. The blend of apple, cacao and orange is simply delicious.
May you enjoy nutrient dense food, that nourishes your body, mind and spirit. Be nourished in all you do.
At The Nourished Executive we coach business professionals and share strategies to invest in wellbeing, manage stress and prevent burnout. Our founder, Sharon K. Summerfield, is a holistic nutritionist and certified breath coach, with an extensive business background. We have a strong commitment to giving back, investing in local community creating space for all students to consider careers in construction, science, technology, engineering and math.
Add A Comment